DE&S have an exciting opportunity for Senior Engineers with Ordnance, Munitions and Explosives (OME) procurement, Directed Energy Weapon (DEW) or engineering design experience to join their Bristol-based team. You will become the focal point for managing the delivery of all engineering requirements, including the acquisition safety aspects, with the posts in teams such as Long Range Precision Strike (LRPS), Team Complex Weapons (Future) TCW(F), Directed Energy Weapons (DEW) and Short Range Air Defence (SHORAD) projects. This will cover all areas of OME, across Air, Land and Sea domains.
This is a Professional Engineer role, providing expert advice and guidance in technical areas to solve complex technical problems. Elements of these posts may involve Weapon Systems Integration to various Air, Land and Sea platforms, and potentially including Airworthiness Issues. If you have these attributes, combined with a talent for communicating, influencing and embracing change, this could be the role for you.
Please be advised that, due to the nature of security, these roles are reserved for sole UK nationals only. Successful applicants should also be willing to undertake DV clearance once in the post, if required.
In these roles, you will work with industry, support the definition of technical requirements, and manage solution development, to ensure compliance with customer requirements. You will be influential in demonstrating your knowledge and experience in engineering projects. This role will encompass planning, performance reporting, and the development of people on specific assignments within the Weapons Operating Centre (WOC). As a result, you will enhance your skills and subject matter knowledge to help DE&S ensure that our Armed Forces can operate in the most demanding environments.
The responsibilities of these posts will include, but not be limited to, the following:
* Interfacing with industry and end users alike. Acting as the intelligent customer, both in a scrutiny role and supporting the identification of application risks. This could include development of trial plans, design changes and much more
* Keeping up to date with OME/DEW developments and opportunities for exploitation within the team
* Ensuring coherence with OME/DEW Safety Management Systems
* Ensuring coherence with statutory and MOD regulations, safety standards and best practice, in relation to the management of Explosives, Military Laser Systems and associated activities as part of the project
* Providing assurance to the Chief Engineer that Industry and other stakeholders are aligned with DE&S and adhering to the Regulatory processes. Supporting design reviews, providing evidence for independent assurance on OME/DEW safety/safety management, and assessing and managing OME/DEW Safety risk
* Conducting independent technical evaluation and safety assurance activities
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* Relevant engineering experience, such as OME/DEW equipment procurement or engineering design
* Chartered or Incorporated Engineer status or you will demonstrate equivalent knowledge, skills and experience
* A relevant Level 4 (or higher) qualification or equivalent experience
* Experience of providing technical advice and leading the delivery of successful engineering outcomes
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Systems Engineering experience
* Weapons Systems experience
* Systems Safety experience
* An understanding of the Air-Launched Weapons Release processes
* An Understanding (or awareness) of the OME Certification & Qualification processes
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Technical Requirements, Evaluation & Acceptance (Practitioner)
* Technical Risk Management (Practitioner)
* Communicating and influencing
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market-leading employer pension contributions of between 26.6% and 30.3% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Whilst you will be based out of the listed location, DE&S promotes Smarter working, which provides flexibility over where work is carried out whilst ensuring organisational outcomes are delivered effectively and efficiently. We adopt an ‘attend for a purpose’ approach in relation to visits to site.
We value diversity and inclusion and actively encourage and welcome applications from everyone, including those that are underrepresented in our workforce. We promote equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment and a working environment free from discrimination, harassment, bullying and victimisation.
This post is not eligible for relocation allowances.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is developed vetting.
Open to UK nationals only