Who we’re looking for
We are looking for a DevOps Platform Engineer to join our Global Technology team in London, reporting into the Head of DevOps. It will be your responsibility to support, maintain and enhance our DevOps Platform by working closely with several teams within our IT function.
We’re a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
We have around 4,000 people on six continents. And we’ve been around for over 200 years, but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn’t change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper.
The Global Technology Engineering team are based in London at 1 London Wall Place, EC2Y 5AU.
The DevOps team, part of the Enterprise Architecture, enables Product Teams (c.60) globally to provide value to Business early through collaboration, integration, automation and innovation.
The Team ensures that the “DevOps Product”, provided by the Team, always meets the requirements of global Product Teams by constantly measuring capability and outputs, gathering feedback and implementing the required changes through innovation, improvements, and evolution.
The Team owns all DevOps related tools and processes within the SDLC.
The set of tools behind the core capabilities (c.20) and processes are collectively known as the “DevOps Platform”. In addition to offering the basic delivery pipeline, it also offers advanced analytics in application development to improve product and service quality and speed of delivery.
In collaboration with other teams and functions, the team designs and implements tailored processes to remove constraints, reduce lead times etc.
The Team ensures that the DevOps culture is embedded into the fabric of global Product Teams and that they are self-sufficient in use of DevOps capabilities.
The Team provides ongoing SME Support for tools & processes and continuous coaching to teams & individuals as “DevOps Product” evolves.
What you’ll do
The DevOps Support (DOS) Team, provides:
• 1st – 2nd line support for the DevOps Platform
• Incident Management
• Upgrades the DevOps Platform
• Basic training/advice to Product Team on the Platform
In relation to the DOS Team, this role will:
• Act as an escalation point, providing 3rd – 4th line support
• Own Problem Management
• Supervise upgrades (3-4 per month)
• Coach and train DOS staff
• SME-level training/advice to Product Teams on the Platform
Tools, enabling capabilities of the Platform, are delivered by the DevOps Enablers.
You will work closely with them to ensure that deliverables are fully on-boarded by the DOS Team, as well as decommission replaced tools once the migration is completed.
In addition to the above, you will focus on extending the functionality of existing tools by:
• Developing new features using c# or powershell
• Working with developers to code review and implement their additions to the Platform (e.g. custom build tasks, deployment steps etc.)
The Platform needs to be fully monitored. Monitoring metrics together with usage metrics are used to:
• ensure the Platform is performant and available
• enable Product Teams to understand the progress and quality of their code
• and how their service is performing in Production
As capabilities evolve the self-help guides and other training materials for the DevOps Platform will need to be kept up-to-date.
DevOps Platform Engineer will work with Infrastructure teams to enable and maintain integration of automated provisioning of infrastructure with the Platform.
The DevOps Champions (DOCs) team acts as a conduit between Product Teams and the central DevOps function. This role will work closely with DOCs to:
• aid the adoption of the Platform by Product teams
• improve the Platform based on the feedback from Product Teams.
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
• Solid understanding of SDLC
• Understanding of ITIL
• Understanding of testing types, cycles, and frameworks
• Experience of Agile delivery and engineering practices is a must
• Project management (Agile/Waterfall/Prince etc)
• Good development (c# or java) or scripting (powershell or bash/python; and t-sql) skills
• Good Windows server administration skills
• Understanding of TCP/IP (web hosting, raising firewall rules, what is load balancing etc.), DNS and SSL
• VSTS (Azure DevOps)
• Backlog management (VSTS/Jira/etc.)
• VCS – Git
• Repositories – npm/bower/nugget/Docker/python/choco/maven (Artifactory/etc.)
• Build engineering & automation of deployments (TFS/TeamCity/Jenkins/msbuild/ant & Octopus)
• Code quality & security gates (sonarqube/checkmarx/whitesource/black duck)
• Test Case Management (ALM/TestRail/Zephyr)
• Application and infrastructure monitoring, automation of monitoring configuration
• Log correlation and analysis (Splunk or alternatives – GreyLog, ELK Stack etc.)
• Atlassian stack (Confluence in particular)
• Azure/AWS & Terraform
• The experience of working with Open Source tools.
The knowledge, experience and qualifications that will help
• Linux administration
• LAMP stack
• Exposure to Docker or similar containers
• Knowledge of configuration management tools (Puppet/Ansible/Chef)
• Experience of devops in software delivery company desirable
• Process design and optimisation skills highly desirable
What you’ll be like
• Advocate for the use of best practice
• Good problem-solving skills, able to demonstrate initiative as well as logical, structured thought processes
• Good communication skills – written, pictorial, presentational, verbal.
• Good relationship management skills – able to engage with and gain confidence of others
• Comfortable working independently, but a good collaborator
• Flexible and adaptable while at the same time maintaining focus and a drive to deliver
• A technically minded person with a desire to keep abreast of technological, regulatory and other environmental changes impacting financial services
• Ability to challenge existing processes in SDLC
We’re looking for the best, whoever they are
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You’re welcome here whatever your sex, marital status, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, religious belief or age.
Note to Agencies:
Schroders does not accept speculative CVs from agencies. We do have a PSL who are invited to support us when required. We only pay fees to agencies instructed to send CVs and are submitted through our recruitment portal. We do not pay fees on speculative or unsolicited CVs sent to Schroders or Schroders employees and reserve the right to contact unsolicited CVs directly.