How to become an Accountant
Want to become an Accountant? Accountant’s duty
As an Accountant your main duty is to prepare a business accounts, which can then be used to give an overview of the financial status of the business. You will monitor all of the company’s financial transactions and can report any risk or irregularities to help the business make better plans to progress into the future
Even though specific responsibilities vary from one industry to another, Accountants duties will often include:
- Tracking and examining the income and expenditure of the company
- Managing payroll, and conducting audits
- Identifying and investigating financial irregularities or risk such as, losses or suspected fraud
- Give advice on budgeting and making recommendations on how to increase profit in the company
- Calculate tax owed and filing tax returns
- Secures financial information of the company by completing data base backups
Accounting Careers: Can I become An Accountant?
Success as an Accountant is largely dependent on your individual numerical ability. You need to have a passion for mathematics and a close attention to details. You should also be able to work well under pressure, especially when approaching financial deadline /due date.
Career Progression: Educational Requirement
You don’t need a degree to become an Accountant, as an AAT qualification may be considered a prerequisite by a lot of employers. Acquiring one or more of these industry recognised qualifications can help you quantify your skills and break into the industry to become an accountant
Accountant Salary (United kingdom)
An Accountant earns an average salary of £28,306 per year. Most people move on to other jobs if they have more than 20 years’ experience in this career.
Common Career Paths for Accountant
Important Skills For An Accountant
- Financial Analysis – median salary £31,000
- Financial reporting – median salary £30,000
- Account management – median salary £29,000
- Microsoft excel – median salary £27,000
- Tax preparation – median salary £26,000
Skills That Affect Accountant Salaries
Job Satisfaction level of Accountants
|Rated 4 out of 5
based on 263 votes.
Related jobs for Accountants
Years of Experience
Accountant’s Experience Level and Pay
The level of experience of an accountant has an influence on pay in the accounting profession